Multiple factors affect metabolic rate, or the number of calories you burn. Check out the top determining factors below:
- Age: The older you get, the slower your metabolic rate becomes. This is one of the reasons people tend to gain weight as they age.
- Muscle mass: The greater your muscle mass, the more calories you burn.
- Body size: The bigger you are, the more calories you burn.
- Environmental temperature: When your body is exposed to cold, it needs to burn more calories to prevent your body temperature from falling.
- Physical activity: All body movements require calories. The more active you are, the more calories you’ll burn. Your metabolism will speed up accordingly.
- Hormone disorders: Cushing’s syndrome and hypothyroidism slow down metabolic rate and increase the risk of weight gain.
Want to learn more? Clients, our personal training team is always here to answer any questions you may have. Not yet a member? Sign up for a 2-session trial here!